Pumpkin and Butternut Squash Puree with Nutmeg & Cinnamon
2 Whole Butternut Squash 1 Can Pumpkin Puree 29 oz. 2 Sweet Potatoes 1 Tsp. Nutmeg 1 Tsp. Cinnamon 1 Tsp All-Spice 1 Tsp each S&P (salt optional) ½ Stick unsalted Butter (optional) 1 Sprig Thyme
- Peel the butternut squash, remove seeds and cut into ½ inch cubes- set aside.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes- set aside.
- Open can pumpkin puree, place in a small bowl- set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil, add the butternut squash and sweet potato, simmer until fork tender about 30 minutes, strain- set aside.
- In the same pot add the cooked butternut squash and sweet potato with the canned pumpkin, add all remaining ingredients (blend together with a potato masher) and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Stir continuously as to not scorch the bottom. Adjust the seasoning.
TO PLATE THE DISH
Place in small ramekins with a sprig of thyme for garnish, or place in a large casserole dish (family style) and garnish with a sprig of thyme.
Sweet potatoes add good texture to this Thanksgiving side dish and are nutrient rich for your ocular health. Butternut squash and Pumpkin are packed with powerful antioxidant carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, essential to maintain healthy eyes!