SPICY HOT SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
· with Fresh Corn Polenta, Warm Kale Salad, & Berry Sauce ·
3/4 cup quality corn meal
1 ear corn
1 bay leaf
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 orange bell pepper
1 clove garlic
2 links hot sausage
2 cups baby kale
2 tablespoon blackberry jam
1 tablespoon dried cherries
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon good red wine
S&P to taste
- Simmer Hot Sausage for 10 minutes in a pot covered with water. Drain and place cooked sausage in the cooler. When cool remove casings, and slice sausage on the bias ¾” set aside.
- Remove corn from the cob set aside. Add corn cob to small pot with bay leaf, cover with 5 cups cold water bring to boil and simmer 15 minutes, strain and reserve corn broth and bay leaf. Rinse baby kale and dry on a paper towel. (cooking tip – ALWAYS WASH YOUR VEGETABLES).
- Prepare berry sauce: cover dried cherries with red wine and balsamic vinegar set aside 20 minutes to soften the cherries. Add blackberry jam to a bowl with balsamic vinegar, soaked cherries and wine, whisk well, little bit of crack pepper- set aside.
- Bring corn broth to a boil with the bay leaf slowly add cornmeal with the corn kernels, and constantly stir with a whisk, cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, if polenta gets to thick add water as you are cooking to adjust the texture, season S&P to taste. Turn off the heat cover with lid to keep warm- set aside.
- In a non-stick pan put pan on medium heat, add the olive oil and begin browning the sausage and julienne sliced peppers, with crushed garlic. Keep warm once sausage is caramelized on very low heat- can cover as well.
- In a small sauté pan add tablespoon of olive oil, add the kale, S&P to taste and quickly sauté on high heat for 15-20 seconds just to wilt.
TO PLATE THE DISH
Spoon in corn polenta on a plate, add the sausage and peppers with roasted garlic. Place warm kale on plate and spoon over berry sauce with cherries. Serve immediately. Garnish with basil or your favorite herb. Enjoy!
This is the perfect dish for spring. The warm soft polenta is comfort food and rich in lutein. The spicy sausage contains paprika which has ocular health benefits. The julienne red and orange peppers are an excellent source of zeaxanthin. Warm kale salad is an excellent source of lutein. To summarize the corn, peppers, kale, blackberry jam, and dried cherries are all essential ingredients packed with anti-oxidants to enrich your macular pigment, enhance your vision, and help preserve your vision.
This is a fun easy recipe and so delicious! The corn broth will give greater flavor to the polenta, the balance of balsamic vinegar and blackberry jam with cherries helps cut the richness of the spicy sausage. Make it for both yourself and friends and family!
Don’t forget…To maintain good Ocular Health always eat your Fruits and Veggies!