BRAISED KALE SALAD
· with Hard Cooked Eggs ·
3 Cups Kale
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
5 Baby Carrots ( can substitute regular carrots)
5 Asparagus spears
2 tablespoons dried cherries ( can substitute dried cranberries or blueberries)
½ cup Red wine
½ cup Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
S&P to taste (salt optional)
2 Hard Cooked Eggs
1 Tablespoon Capers (can substitute 2 of your favorite olives sliced)
1 Clove Garlic
1 small heirloom tomato (can substitute cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes)
1 Bay Leave
- Add the wine and balsamic vinegar with bay leave and dried cherries to a small pot on medium high heat reduce to a glaze, discard bay leave, add capers and set aside.
- Peel carrots, and asparagus and( blanch) cook in boiling water 4 minutes set aside.
- In a small pot add 2 eggs cover with water bring just to the boil and reduce to a simmer, cook 8 minutes and shock in ice water, peel and set aside.
- Wash kale well, chop garlic add the oil to a sauté pan and on medium heat sauté the kale and garlic for 3 minutes until wilted, set aside.
TO PLATE THE DISH
- Place the cooked kale in center of the plate
- Arrange carrot and asparagus and sliced heirloom tomato around the kale
- Slice hard cook eggs and place in each corner of the plate.
- Spoon cherry balsamic red wine glaze with capers and cherries over kale and around the plate.
This is an excellent healthy salad packed with carotenoids that are beneficial to your ocular health. Great lunch entrée or a light dinner. Try this one out!